Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Old Fashioned Wooden Porch Swings

Old Fashioned Wooden Porch Swings | Ready-to Sale - Hello everyone its Brittaney with Tru Furniture in this video I will show you how to remove a veneer top form an old piece of furniture I found this piece at a local yard sale its just a really cool looking end table. The only problem with that is that I has a two layer vaneer on it that is an extremely terrible condition i run into this a lot and re-doing furniture like I do so I'm gonna take stab at getting this off and I'll show you how I do it so the tools I always start out with is a and chisel scraper tool I like it to have a sharp edge to it I can really get under at the the thin vaneer and left it up also I use a hammer. I've already started to peel this up a little bit as you can see it looks like it might come off in one big chunk with is really nice so and I'm going to just peel off pieces right now that are coming off on their own try to keep it pretty flat other wise it will go right into the wood underneath and you'll have deep gauges in there.


Alright to this is what I have left over after peeling off the majority of the veneer your still going to have a couple spots that are really hard to get off because the clue is still sticking to the table what I'm doing here I have my iron set on a medium setting the lowest setting I can get with the steam hold it on your spot for a few seconds and then try to scrape it off with your scraping tool. Antique wood porch swing Okay I just finished using my iron to try and take off this left over veneer that was really glued on their I got as much off as I could, I didn't get it all off. I'm pretty sure if I just sand it with my electric hand sander with a really coarse grit sandpaper right now I have a 60 grit sand paper in here I'm pretty confident that will get the remaining particles of the veneer off of here so i'm going to do that right now okay so after you're done sanding off the remaining veneer you want to try and get the glue off with a chemical product you don't have to use a chemical product I'm sure there's other ways to do this but I've find that this is the fastest and easiest way.

So always use in a ventilated area right now I'm on my back porch I'm just going to pour it on places where I see glue I"m going to use this sponge brush to apply it you don't want to aggressively brush it on, just spread it around and leave it alone otherwise it will deactivate it and it won't work as well as it should so I'll let that sit for a couple minutes then I'll come back with my scraper OK vintage wood porch swing so after it sat for a couple minutes just take your scraping tool just scrape it off with some pressure don't get this stuff on your hands because it will burn your skin I'm just going to do this to the rest of the table, and then I will go over it with some steel wool and lacquer thinner and then that should be good that should be the end of the process then I will clean up the table with my sanding again until i get the finish I want I plan on staining this table top and then putting a poly over it here's the tabletop after I sanded got it real nice and smooth got out any imperfections I wanted now it's ready to be stained and Poly'd Here's what the finished piece looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment