Friday, February 5, 2016

Wood Fence Ideas for Front Yard

Wood Fence Ideas for Front Yard - In this video we're going to go through the steps involved in building a timber fence. In this particular instance, it's a low decorative fence around a frog pond, but the steps involved are still basically the same as the picket fence you would see in front of most houses today. The steps involved in our fence are marking out and the installing of our posts. Next go our timber rails, which are the horizontal pieces. And then of course, our timber pickets on top of that. The tools and materials we'll be using today are a nail gun, a powered circular saw, our tape measure, chisel for the timber posts, a hammer, string line, a carpenter square, some clamps to help us hold the timber. And our safety equipment we'll be using will be a pair of gloves to help us when we're handling the timber, safety glasses, and ear protection. The materials are treated pine rails and treated pine decking that I'm using for the pickets.


We've got a hundred millimeter by a hundred millimeter posts. I've also got some timber preservative to use on our cut sections of our treated pine. Before building any fence, just have a chat with your local council. That will give you some ideas on how high your fence is allowed to be  front yard wooden fence designs. That will also let you know how far from you boundaries it should be. And that will also help you out with how deep your holes will need to be when you do put your posts in. The first step to do is to mark out where our posts are going to be. Dig our holes. Concrete our posts in. Make sure to use a level to keep the posts nice and vertical and of course a string line to keep them all in a straight line. Once our posts are in and our concrete is set, a good idea is to leave the concrete to set overnight so it's nice and strong. What we need to do now is mark out all our posts. We want to mark them for the height that we want them to be and I'll use the corner post to do this. I've already measured the height of my first corner post and also transferred that measurement, or duplicated that measurement on the other post. Then I've run a string line across those two marks so that that same height is also on my center post.

Next step after that is to mark out where I want to put my rails. The number of rails and the distance between your rails will be determined by the size of your fence. In this instance, wood fences in front yards we're putting two rails in. So I'll mark down from the top where I want my first rail. Make sure that that measurement is the same on all my posts. And then I will mark down to where I want my lower post, and again, making sure that that measurement is identical to all my posts. Now we're ready to cut our rebates for our rails. Of course I've got my safety gear, ear protection, eye protection, and another big safety items is our electrical cord for our power tools. You don't want to cut through your electrical cord while you're doing this, of course. So I've actually got this around my shoulder to keep it up out of the way of the saw itself. I've also set the blade of the saw to the depth of the rails, in this case, 35 millimeters. And I'm going to run a series of cuts through the posts and then actually just knock them out with a hammer. Then clean it up with a chisel. That will give me a nice clean rebate. Nice and quick and nice and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment