Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wood for Garage Ceiling, Is It Okay?

Wood for Garage Ceiling, Is It Okay? - Hi folks Iím Mark with ProLine Range Hoods and one of the questions we get asked a lot, is do I need to anchor my range hood to a stud and the studs donít line up with the holes. Thatís a regular occurrence and you do need anchor your range hood to a stud so Iím going to show you today how to find a stud because itís an important part of installing really anything that needs to be supported so youíre going to get some shelving from Ikea or something that needs to be hung from a wall Home Depot, youíre going to need to find a stud. So thereís some basic principles to understand, Now here on this wall you can see that we have an outlet. Now normally an outlet is on a stud is right next to an outlet so thatís an easy occasion. Now the next thing that is important to note is in the United States most framing in houses is on sixteen inch centers. Now occasionally weíll run into some older homes framed on twenty four inch centers framed with lack an plaster, things like that but generally, sixteen inch centers.


So if my stud started on the outside of the outlet then the next center of my stud would be right here. type of wood for garage joist ceiling Now if it were on the other side of the outlet, the stud might be right here.In this environment where this is a single layer of sheetrock over a wood stud where you knock on the sheet rock, it is going to sound solid where the stud is. Where there is no stud, it will sound hollow, kind of like a drum. So, if I knock over here, here thatÖhollow. As I come here, here that solid. And back to hollow. So it is right there, that is right where it is at. Let is just go ahead and put it right here. Now hereís one of the tricks, I barely missed it because I could feel the drill bit, I could feel the screw go sideways, so Iim a little to the left of it. I did'n it hit it but if I use that same hole and I go this way , I know it is right there. As we drive this screw in, you could feel how hard that is.

You know that is the stud so compared to when we drilled it this way, it goes all the way in and it will spin so we know we found the stud, weire right on the side of the stud. Wooden hanging garage shelves That is right on the center, now the nice thing about knowing that is now you have a pretty good idea on where the rest of your studs are so weill measure over sixteen inches so your center will be right there and so now I can firmly attach my range hood. Well, that is how you do it. Thanks for watching and have a great day! If you have any questions just look on our website or call our 800 number.

No comments:

Post a Comment